History of the town

The town was given its name after a stream, which was referred to as ka (Little river) in historical sources, and called Bystika by the locals.

The town was established in the 13th century in a very good setting. It soon became the administrative center of the area colonized by the noblemen of Medlov, later called Perntejn; an aristocratic family with wisents head in the crest. There was a document from 1220 that was considered the earliest record of Bystice. However, it proved to be a forgery created by a Bystice native Antonn Boek, Moravian historiographer based in Brno. Thus only the document created between 1258 and 1298, falsely claiming 1238 as the year of origin, can be considered the earliest written record of the town.
Sometime between 1235 and 1238 there was a church built in Bystice. Its consecration to St Lawrence is quite typical for settlements established as local centers in the 13th century.

Several 14th century transfers of property suggest that by then Bystice had already become an industrial, administrative and business center of surrounding villages of the Perntejn land.

Bystice became a town before 1348. At that time it also became the property of Moravian margraves and that is why their symbol appeared on the seal. In 1403 Vilm of Perntejn grants Bystice the right of escheat and freedom to sell both movable and immovable property.

In 1458 king Ladislav affirmed the towns right to organize annual St Ludmilas fairs and in 1477 also St Johns and St Wenceslauss fairs were celebrated. From the beginning of the 15th century to 1588 Bystice in fact belonged to the family of Perntejn. Under their rule, mainly under the rule of Vilm and Vratislav, the town flourished and during the first half of the 16th century it was at the height of its fame.
1580 is the year of the biggest importance in the history of the town. At that time, emperor Rudolf II granted Bystice the status of town together with new privileges. On that occasion the town also received a new crest: The crest has a shield of yellow or golden color. From the top to the bottom it will be divided into two by a stroke of blue or glaze color. On the right of the shield half of a wisents head is to be pictured, and a withe is to run through its nostrils. The left part of the crest is to show a half of a bird an eagle with stretched wings painted in black. At the same time Bystice gained the right to seal by red wax.

St Lawrences Church After Vratislav of Perntejn died, the town had several owners and its development came to a halt. The town was also badly affected by the Thirty Years' War. After armies marched through the area several times, the town and surrounding villages were ravaged.

Originally an early Gothic church from the 13th century went through several reconstructions. The naves and choirs were built only after 1699 and gave the church its late Baroque character. The two towers in the frontage were built after the demolition of the previous tower in 1750.

There is one more church in Bystice. It is the Renaissance Church of the Holy Trinity, located at the local cemetery from 1615. Originally it was an Evangelical church. On ern Vrek (the Black hill) there is Baroque St Annas Chapel from 1749. In Bratrsk Street there used to be the Chapel of Bohemian Brethren. The hospital was first mentioned in historical records in 1465.

From 1501 on Bystice had its town hall. The town hall as it looks today was built on the square in 1808. Today the Town Museum can be found there. There are two houses under historical protection on the square: number 1 the Museum, number 52 from 1756, and numbers 62 and 64.

There is a fountain on the square from 1845 with statues of Cyril and Method. Above the fountain theres the Column of Virgin Mary from 1727 with the four patrons of the town St John of Nepomuk, St Lawrence, St Sebastian and St Florien. On the upper end of the square there is a sandstone cross with Pieta from 1881.

In front of the elementary school in Tyr Street there is a statue of T.G. Masaryk by Vincenc Makovsk, allegedly the nicest among all statues of Masaryk.

The development of Bystice is closely related to the introduction of railway into town in June 1905 and mainly to the expansion of uranium industry in Doln Ronka at the end of 1950s. Due to uranium industry, two new settlements were established and the population grew to 8,600. Bystice was given its tag "nad Perntejnem" on May 10th, 1925. Between 1949 and 1960 Bystice was recognized as the official center of the district and initially 93 villages belonged to its province. Bystice health center was built in 1963. In the 1970s the square acquired a new appearance with the arrival of new shops, offices and institutions. This trend has been most visible since 1990. In 1953 there was a new grammar school opened. In 1997 construction of a new, modern building of the school was completed. Moreover, in 1953 a four-year vocational school of agriculture was opened (SZT). The building of the school from 1961 belonged to the most modern of its kind in Europe.